Thursday, October 23, 2008

Water Babies


Wow, was I schooled. Talk about pulling teeth, hair and what ever else I could get my hands on to get my kids on the list for swimming lessons. Who knew? After 2 months of fighting for a spot in a class we got one and it was sure worth it, just look at that face. Yup that's me (sorry folks) in the pool with Addison which was a blast and I wish I could have done it that way with Jonesy too. The first day was kinda tough, leaving the pool with the claw marks to prove it.
After that she was all fins floating, playing, drinking pool water and even putting her head under. Jumping from the wall into the pool seemed to be her favorite thing to do proving our collective theory that we have a true dare devil on our hands and putting the fear in to her mother desperately trying to keep her head above water. Also amusing to her, and everyone else, was cruising by the audience seated close by just making sure that her fan club didn't miss a moment of her silliness. By the end of the 2 weeks she had learned a few new tricks, graduated at the top of her class and of course had the chance to look too cute in her bathing suits.
Jonesy was so excited to get in the water that he could hardly sit still waiting for Addi's session to be over. Everyday he would sit so patiently by the wall, just feet from Addison and I, the pool beckoning him I'm sure, watching us and waiting. 30 minutes must feet like hours to a three year old when faced with something they love to do but have to wait for. So when it was his turn, he could hardly get his clothes off fast enough to join his teacher by the pool. The first day was going swimmingly (haha) until Jonathan lost his footing following the teacher through the deep water to the wall. I was just sitting a few feet away, letting Addison put her feet in the water, you know, keeping the beast happy when it happened. As his head went under for the 3rd time in about 2 seconds and he couldn't get to his feet I jumped up to grab him. Its funny how you don't want to be "one of those Moms" that run for their child at the first sign of trouble never giving them a chance to learn on their own. So I waited....a whole 2 seconds three at the most....but I waited, gave him a chance, but man was it the longest 3 seconds let me tell you. The teacher finally got him up (listen to me it was 3 seconds for goodness sake) and he ran to me. After a few tears and a couple deep breaths (and i mean for the both of us) he got back to the lesson and everything was fine. Him being no fool though kept a hand on the teacher when they were in the "deep" water.
By the next week he had all of him confidence back again and was just as happy as a clam (haha). It was sad that it was over for them... but not for me let me tell you. It is a work out to get 2 infants to the pool, undressed, pottyed, and then when it is all over, getting them showered, dressed, and home. Jeez!

1 comment:

Susan Gregory from Bend, Oregon said...

This is a great way to keep caught up on what's going on with your family! I really enjoy your descriptive narratives, and the photos make it real!!
Susan